Monday, March 11, 2013

Back after hiatus

I am back after quite a break from this blog. I have since finished my GP Yak 54 25% and flown it about 20 times. The DLE 55 has a few gallons through it and has run very well. I have not flown it since January 2012 due to career training but will be back in the air soon. I am in the process of checking the plane over from spinner to tail making sure all works and is in place. Few things to mention since I have gone into giant scale RC flight (this is a working list and things will be added as I learn  more):
1. Use locktight on ALL METAL TO METAL screws INCLUDING servos! During my maiden flight a metal gear elevator servo arm screw vibrated right off the servo and if not for the duel elevators on this model... well you know... would have been the 1st and last flight.

2. METAL GEAR SERVOS- all my servos were metal gear except the throttle servo. I figured I would not need a metal gear servo on the throttle... no point in that right?.. Wrong! During another fight (due to my incorrect throttle servo set up) the plastic throttle servo spline could not withstand the sheer forces and broke off the servo... and that leads me to my next point...

3. Always use KILL SWITCHES! When I installed the kill switch in my Yak I figured it was just a safety feature I would probably never use... see point 2. If it were not for that kill switch I would have been flying the model until the fuel ran out at random throttle settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment