Wednesday, July 21, 2010

After the Crash?

So what did I do after I watched my old faithful trainer come down in a shameless, wingless spiral? Well I went and found it! Luckily it was not far since the flight did not last even a minute. The fuselage was right across the runway but the wing was another story.
The wing had fluttered down on its own path so it was quite a hike to find it. The wing was in one piece like it never had even come off the plane. Pretty much all the parts of the plane were in good shape, obviously except for that fuselage that turned into a lawn dart. The fuse was busted up in a few parts and was pretty much trash, even for a foam airplane.
Later on after returning home and facing the fact that my trainer was gone I figured I would take an inventory and see what was working and what was not. To my surprise everything was working! Yea the prop was broken in half and the motor rattled when given throttle but I disassembled it and found only a loose set screw was te culprit of the rattle on the outrunner. All the servos worked perfectly and had not even been stripped. I removed the horizontal and vertical stabs with control surfaces attached and continued to salvage.
Before I knew it I had pretty much the entire plane disassembled in front of me and all I need to get it back in the air to my surprise was another fuselage that usually for foam airplanes are not very expensive. Now the other concern I had was the lipo battery that came with the plane. It had taken a beating in the impact and has a corner that is bent, but after some controlled testing it does still hold its charge and work properly with out the dreaded lipo fire.
All in all I do believe that after a crash there is always salvageable parts, even if it's just the tail of the plane to be hung as a memorial. At least I had a feeling of relief after finding so many parts were still working and that it was not pilot error that caused the crash but could be better described as "pilot oversee". I can easily get this plane back up in the air for a fraction of what the entire kit cost. And when I do, I will be checking the rubber bands!

No comments:

Post a Comment